10.15.2010

Santa Monica Place

The boy & I took a trip down to the newly renovated Santa Monica Place last week. Having seen the mall morph from an indoor 80's atmospheric mall into a contemporary outdoor shopping space was pretty impressive. I was obsessed with their outdoor seating, although I couldn't get a snapshot of any of it (nor could I find any good shots online). Growing from the ground were amazing white cushioned pods, and wood paneled / white cement leaf-shaped benches that made the aesthetic of sitting even pleasing to look at. (And I tested one out - comfy!)

I went at night, so I haven't gotten the full daytime effect, but I can only imagine that the experience holds up. I haven't been a big fan of the 3rd Street Promenade the past five years or so, as it's normally filled with crazy street performers and a bizarre crowd - and while that is still there - this was a very much need revitalization of the area. Maybe they can get down to the actual beaches now and clean those up (errryuck).

The below image of the space barely does it justice. The shapes and curves of the building along with all the materials used was really quite beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment